Free Food Boxes (continues thru June 12)
The Guilford CARES: Feeding the Community Food Drive launched Feb. 6, and the goal of is to distribute 500 boxes of food biweekly for 10 weeks, totaling 5,000 boxes, from different alternating locations throughout the county. Each box is designed to feed a family of four and will include enough food for two weeks and include meat and fresh produce.
The churches and nonprofit organizations participating as distribution locations include:
- Feb. 6 – New Zion Missionary Baptist Church (Greensboro)
- March 6 – Hayes-Taylor YMCA (Greensboro)
- March 20 – Shiloh Baptist Church (1210 S. Eugene Street, Greensboro 27406)
- April 3 – Crossover Community Church (711 Knightdale Avenue, High Point 27263)
- April 17 – Calvary Baptist Church (808 Hilltop Street, High Point 27260)
- May 1 – First Baptist Church (1000 W. Friendly Avenue, Greensboro 27401)
- May 15 – Lawndale Baptist Church (3505 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro 27408)
- May 29 – Open Door Ministries of High Point (400 N. Centennial Street, High Point 27262)
- June 12 – Second Harvest Food Bank (2517 Phillips Avenue, Greensboro 27405)
Funding for this program comes from the county’s COVID response initiatives approved by the Guilford County Board of Commissioners during their Dec. 14, 2020, meeting. At the request of Commissioner Carolyn Coleman, the board set aside nearly $300,000 from federal funds received for this initiative to help address food insecurities.
For details about biweekly distribution locations near you, visit www.healthyguilford.com.