Give Up and Give Back: 40 Days of Fasting (Feb. 17-April 3)
Through fasting, we are more spiritually aware of God’s presence, His power and we can see Him more clearly. We can see what He demands from us and what He wants us to do.
Biblical fasting always goes hand in hand with prayer. Remember that fasting is not “earning” an answer to prayer. God cannot be blackmailed by human effort. God wants to answer our prayers and He answers out of grace. Fasting simply prepares us for God’s answer.
Guidelines for fasting:
- Monday-Saturday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m., consume no bread, no carbohydrates, no sodas and no sweets
- Monday-Saturday, 6 p.m.-6 a.m., consume only water, juice, fruit smoothies; no social networks
- Sundays, all day, no fasting
- Contact your physician before starting any fast.
During Lent, we are asking you to pray every day at noon for three specific areas:
- Scriptural Holiness – Greater devotion to live scripturally holy lives (reading and following the Word);
- Evangelism – Creating disciples of Christ through effectively spreading the Word; and
- Giving of Oneself for Others – Read Matthew 25:31-46, then put Jesus’ teachings into practice by choosing an act of service to perform throughout Lent.