Environment-Friendly Thanksgiving Tips
The Creation Care Ministry wishes you a Happy Thanksgiving and asks you to consider the following while planning for the holiday:
- Take stock before shopping to avoid duplication and food waste. Make room in the refrigerator/freezer beforehand to help reduce accumulation and waste.
- Consider going meatless. Check the internet for delicious vegetarian or vegan main dish recipes. If skipping a turkey isn’t an option, consider heritage breed or cage-free turkeys ideally raised by a local farmer.
- Choose a cage-free chicken if going vegetarian or vegan is not an option (and you don’t like turkey).
- Choose recipes that call for little or no dairy and eggs, when possible. Opt for organic/cruelty-free brands.
- Pick reusable dishes for serving instead of disposables as well as eco-friendly (non plastic) items for storage such as Bee’s Wrap, glass jars, linen bowl covers and recycled aluminum foil.
- Do not prepare dishes that are unpopular. Limit use of prepared foods, which can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with food production.
- Make food from scratch.
- Eat everything on your plate. Recycle and compost food scraps.
- Plan in order to eliminate extra trips to the store. This will also help minimize carbon dioxide emissions and combat global warming/climate change.
- Coordinate with guests to avoid duplication. Remember, the goal is a reduction in food waste.
II Corinthians 9:11 — You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.