Creation Care Thanksgiving Recycling Tips
Happy Thanksgiving from the SMUMC Creation Care Ministry and Community Garden! Help reduce waste and contamination in recycling this holiday season by following these recycling tips in support of an environment friendly holiday season:
- After the holiday meal, remember to put all food scraps and leftovers in a trash bin or compost. Food scraps do not belong in recycling containers. While recycling containers do not have to be spotless, please don’t toss half-full jars of cranberry sauce and takeout from last month in the recycling.
- Polystyrene (“Styrofoam”) products can be recycled at Dart Container Company, in Randleman, North Carolina. For information, call 336-495-1101.
- Paper plates, napkins and paper towels cannot be recycled because they are too low quality to be recycled into new paper products. Additionally, disposable cups of any kind are not recyclable. However, you can recycle disposable plastic cups.
- Disposable spoons, forks, knives and serving utensils cannot be recycled because they fall into the glass storage area. Anything that is not glass and cannot be pulled out with a magnet while sorting and will then go to the landfill.
- And remember that grease should never be poured down a drain after holiday meals. Place it in a covered can or bottle and take it to the Household Hazard Waste Center for proper disposal.
For more information, visit https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/services/vision-components/faq/-selcat-243#faq_a333.